Domestically Inclined: New Jersey Home Decor

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Polka Dotted Teacups: Urban Details, Spring Lake

September is the perfect month for taking trips over to the beach. The garish crowds have thinned out, the water is still warm and you probably won't have to pay a beach fee to be there.

Personally, I've always liked the beach towns in Monmouth County. While the South Jersey beaches are picturesque, they feel a bit too remote for my tastes. I'd go as far as to say that my comfort levels are inversely proportioned to the percentage of pine trees I'm around.

Anyway, I found some lovely spotted teacups at Urban Details (1111 Third Avenue, Spring Lake). The teacups, part of the Mona collection by Milani, add a bit of Dorothy Draper-esque whimsy to a table setting. I certainly believe that we should all incorporate a tiny bit of polka dots in our lives. Why not on a tea cup set?

While you're in Spring Lake, pay a visit to the Bottle Shop (1400 Third Avenue), one of the best wine merchants in New Jersey. Whether or not you start taking to serving champagne in tea cups is entirely up to you.

(photo from milanihome.com)